Demographic Targeting in Bing Ads

Bing Ads allows advertisers to show ads to select groups of searchers based on certain demographic attributes. Bing users provide the data that Bing Ads needs to serve ads to specific demographics when they are logged in to their Microsoft or MSN accounts. Bing  also gathers this demographic information by tracking what Bing users search for and which Websites they visit. This information, in turn, gives advertisers the opportunity to target multiple demographic groups, or one group exclusively.

Targeting is set either at the campaign level or at the ad group level. Choosing which one depends on the range of demographics of the keywords in the account. Demographic targeting in Bing Ads allows more granular demographic targeting control than Google AdWords and other similar networks. Because of this, getting the right demographic targeting strategy for your account is sometimes a matter of trial and error, especially if an advertiser doesn’t already have insight into the account’s keywords demographics.

To display ads more frequently to a certain demographic group, advertisers increase bids in increments of 10%. This is called bid “boosting” and is the main tactic for demographic targeting in Bing Ads. The interface, shown in the following screenshot, allows one-stop-shopping for incrementally increasing bids for all types of targeting options, including gender, age, location, and other non-demographic options like days of the week and times of day.

Bing Ads has a useful research tool called the Bing Ads Intelligence Tool. It estimates the age and gender distributions of each keyword. Conducting research with this tool is very helpful and worthwhile because it provides valuable insight into demographic data for your account’s keywords prior to bidding.

For example, say you sell pens. You can search in the tool for the query “pens” and get the following insights.

Now that you know the demographic for the keyword “pens” is skewed slightly female in the 25-34 age bracket in Bing, you can boost bids in the keyword’s campaign or ad group to target that group incrementally.

One thing to note is that bid boosting is additive. For example, if you increase bids to females by 20% and bids to the 25-34 age bracket by 20%, the total bid increase is 40% for a searcher in both demographic categories.

Demographic targeting is a powerful tool for advertisers who want to increase ad impressions to certain demographics. It is a great reason to advertise on Bing Ads since advertisers get more control over who sees their ads and adjustments can be made in response to account performance for specified demographic settings.